For all of our married life Marc and I have taken the easy route and went to Lowe's and picked up a pre-cut perfect tree. (And really with small babies who could blame us?) But last year we started the tradition of going out to the tree farm and searching...
in the cold and snow. Yeah memories. Why as parents do we
make choices that we hope will bring great memories, but end in
torture for the parents!? (No really, it wasn't that bad.) Actually,
as I was trekking thru the field I had lots of flashbacks to my child
hood days when we would go out in the cold and have to look and
look at every tree on the farm because 1)my mom wanted to be
SURE we had the best one and 2) because my brother always had
to be the one to find THE tree. (shh! little did he know that many
a year we marked the tree we all wanted, walked him around the
field until he was lost and we were back at the original tree we
wanted!) This weekend when we were out there in the snow, I
caught myself saying things that my mother said when we were
searching those many years ago, and then when Jarren started
to insist that we had to have the tree that HE picks I realized
& the fights over which tree to pick, just maybe we were making
memories that my kids will flashback on one day when they are
searching thru the tree farm with their families!
And ya know what, another thing I remember from my childhood,
it never really matters what the tree looks like, it is always
beautiful when you get the decorations and lights on - and you
fill that big hole with the ugly sitting elf ornament (my siblings will
know what I am talking about!)
No comments:
Post a Comment