Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Summer in Maui

This summer Marc and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary in Maui. We stayed at the same beach, different hotel, as we did for our honeymoon. We had a wonderful time! We spent 8 days on the beautiful island. First couple days we spent laying around the pool drinking our lunch, which is so easy to do when some waitress just keeps bringing them to you :-) We got up very early one morning (about 2a.m.) to drive up 10,000 feet to the top of the crater so we could catch the sunrise. The winding road up in the pitch black dark had me on edge - I was brought to tears - which Marc found so funny. We arrived a little early so we were one of about 3 cars there. In the pitch black at that elevation we were given a show of a lifetime from the stars. They appeared so close, the sky so large around us, there were so many stars. And it was SO quiet. A stillness that envelopes you. No sound no light just you standing there in the sky. Makes you remember how small you are in this universe. It is something I will never forget. We were freezing up there- it was cold, not Michigan cold, but surely a shock to our bodies that just came from 90 degree weather 3 hours below us. Here are some pictures of the sunrise!














We also spent one day hiking and driving around 2/3 of the island. in the rented jeep. Top down enjoying the views. We were on some very very narrow raods. Did I say narrow, I should look up a word that means more narrow than narrow. Earlier I mentioned that I cried during the trip up the crater. This time on this trip, in the light of the day with rocks on one side of us, and the ocean way below us on the other, I was so nervous. I couldn't even look sometimes. I really thought we wouldn't make it. But again, my wonderful husband found this so funny! When I was lhiding my eyes and praying for our safety, he would scream out which would make me look up in fright and grab out for him, and then he'd laugh. But along this route, we had some breath taking sites, along with the discovery of a beach that we had to ourselves. We sat for a while just relaxing in the water and the sun.


I have way to many pictures to post. But if you ever want to see them I am happy to share. It was a wonderful trip. And if not for missing the kids we may not have come back. Next time we go the kids are coming along, and don't be surprised if we sell everything and don't come back!







1 comment:

Its Time to Live said...

Just passing through your blog. Stopped to say the ocean images are great!